Apply for a private, commercial or community jetty licence

You can only apply for a jetty licence by completing a form and posting your application to the Department of Transport.

All jetties require a licence to ensure they meet all safety and maintenance standards and do not interfere with navigation. These include:

  • fixed or floating structures
  • grids
  • landing places
  • piers
  • erected or placed structures
  • platforms
  • ramps
  • slips
  • stages
  • wharves.

Applications need to include:

  • a copy of the certificate of title or lease for the nearest property
  • an A4 site plan showing the jetty’s dimensions and its location in relation to your property. It must include all other structures such as boat ramps, other jetties and mooring poles
  • the completed application form and fee.

If the proposed jetty structure does not conform to approved specifications, engineering drawings must be submitted with the site plan.

For licences in a company name, you also need to provide:

  • a copy of the certificate of incorporation
  • an Australian Business Number
  • names and addresses of two company directors who will be guarantors.    

Send your application to:

Department of Transport
Coastal Facilities Management
GPO C102
Perth WA 6839

Construction work on new jetties must not start until the licence has been awarded.

Page reviewed 23 September 2020