Report vehicle theft

Contact police as soon as you can.
Last updated:

Contact police on 131 444 or visit your local police station to report a stolen vehicle.

Rebirthing stolen motor vehicles

Contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 if you have information relating to an organised criminal group who you suspect may be involved in 'rebirthing' of stolen motor vehicles.

Rebirthing involves the acquiring of a legitimate Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), usually from an accident damaged vehicle, and applying that VIN to a stolen vehicle of the same age, make and model.

The stolen vehicle is subsequently re-registered and sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

Purchasing a vehicle

Visit the National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council's CARSAFE website for information on how to safely purchase a privately registered used vehicle.

If you are purchasing an unregistered vehicle it is advisable to visit the Personal Property Securities Register website and ascertain if the vehicle is listed as stolen or has previously been entered on the Written Off Vehicle Register.

You can also visit the Department of Transport website for more information about written-off vehicles.