Report alcohol and tobacco offences by individuals

Western Australian communities are affected by many alcohol and drug related problems.
Last updated:

Contact police on 131 444, in person at your local police station, or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 to report groups drinking in public areas, people consuming alcohol on unlicensed premises without the consent of the owner or authority in control of those premises or for any other crimes related to alcohol.

Contact the Department of Health Tobacco Control Branch to report unlawful sales of cigarettes to juveniles.

Drink spiking

Drink spiking occurs when alcohol or another substance is added to your drink without your knowledge. Drink spiking is illegal and serious.

If you or a friend suspects a drink has been spiked you are encouraged to report it to the police.

Signs your drink has been spiked

Visit the Alcohol and Drug Foundation website or Alcohol Think Again website for safety tips and more information or download the drink spiking flyer (PDF 195 KB) and poster (PDF 195 KB).


Testing is available in the metropolitan area at any 24hr police station and at all police stations in regional WA.

Reporting the incident within 48-hours means a urine sample can be analysed. A positive test confirms the drink spiking and provides good evidence for prosecution. 

Police will be interested in all the circumstances surrounding the drink spiking such as last drink and descriptions of persons-of-interest. 

If you or someone you know has had their drink spiked it is important to speak out and to encourage other people to also speak out so the stigma is reduced, and people know they will be taken seriously if they report it. 


Once you have received your confidential results, you are then able to decide if you wish to make a criminal complaint to police or seek support and/or counselling from other agencies.

Police will not be taking any action in relation to other illicit drugs that may show up in this testing other than those related to a ‘drink spiking’ incident.

If you feel uncomfortable in the presence of the person you are with, leave their company and if you or your friends exhibit the above symptoms, including appearing intoxicated (loss of inhibitions, poor coordination, drowsiness, confusion or unconsciousness) after a small amount of alcohol, get to a safe place and seek help.

Public and unlicensed premises

It is an offence in Western Australia for people to drink in public, such as on the street, park or beach and carries a penalty of $200 infringement or maximum $2,000 fine.

It is illegal for people to consume alcohol on unlicensed premises (e.g. a council hall) without the consent of the owner or authority in control of those premises.

Alcohol and juveniles

It is an offence for anyone to supply juveniles (under 18 years) with alcohol in a private setting without parental or guardian permission and carries a maximum fine of $10,000.

It is an offence for juveniles to possess liquor in a public place and carries a penalty of $200 infringement or maximum $2,000 fine.

Drink and drug driving

Visit the drink and drug driving page for more information.