Apply for a vehicle fee refund

You can apply for refunds on your plate application, temporary movement permit, vehicle examination and vehicle licence fees, returned plates, concessions and payment errors.
Last updated:

There are different requirements depending on the refund you are applying for:

  • If you have an accident, the refund applies from when you return the vehicle plates unless there is a copy of the accident report or letter from the insurer confirming the date. If the plates are lost, stolen or destroyed you also need to fill in a separate form
  • Concessions can be backdated if you have paid full rates on vehicle fees but you must show proof you are eligible.
  • Refunds on stolen vehicles are effective from the date the theft was reported to police.
  • If a payment error was made you need to show proof of payment or provide a statutory declaration.
  • Refunds for returned plates apply from the date the plates are received.
  • If you are selling a vehicle to an interstate buyer, you need to de-licence it and return the plates before the sale.
  • Refunds on cancelled deals only apply when a vehicle is not delivered to a client by a vehicle dealer.

To apply for a refund, take the completed form and original receipt to a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent or post it to: 

Driver and Vehicle Services
GPO Box R1290
Perth WA 6844