The introduction of two $20,000 grants aim to promote investment in the WA residential market and stimulate jobs in the construction industry.
The grants will be paid to eligible applicants who
- enter into a contract to build a new home on vacant land or
- enter into an off-the-plan contract to purchase a new home as part of a single-tier development on a strata plan or other land survey type
between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020.
On 12 May 2022, extensions to the Building Bonus grant requirements were announced for existing eligible contracts signed between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020.
- Construction of a new detached home or off-the-plan single-tier home must now commence within 30 months of the date of the contract.
- The final date for laying foundations for a new detached home is now 30 April 2024.
- The final date for applying for a grant and uploading supporting documents for a new detached home is now 30 April 2024.
The extended timeframes only apply to the Western Australian Building Bonus grant. The State Government is asking the Commonwealth Government to make similar changes to the HomeBuilder grant.
This follows changes announced on 9 September 2021 which extended:
- the construction commencement period to 18 months and extended the final date for laying the foundations, applying for the grant and submitting supporting documents to 30 April 2023 and
- the off-the-plan duty rebate scheme to people who enter into a pre-construction contract between 23 October 2019 and 24 October 2023 (inclusive) to purchase a new residential unit or apartment.
The grants and rebate scheme are available for owner-occupiers and investors, Australian-citizens and foreign persons, and natural persons, corporations and trustees.
The Government anticipates these offerings will provide incentive for those interested in a new home to play a key part in building our State. For example, it will provide incentive for FIFO workers to make the move to Western Australia and build a new home.
These grants and the rebate scheme are different to the Australian Government's HomeBuilder grant announced on 4 June 2020.
- See information about
- See the Media Statements
- New measures to protect home owners and support building and construction industry (12 May 2022)
- Transfer duty rebate extended to support homebuyers and local jobs (9 September 2021)
- Government incentives driving surge in Perth's property market (18 November 2020)
- Building Bonus extension to provide WA job certainty (20 October 2020)
- Housing stimulus application now open (24 July 2020)
- Building Bonus Package (7 June 2020)
- Off-the-plan duty rebate (23 October 2019)