Common Use Arrangements (CUAs)

Information for agency staff purchasing goods and services available under Western Australia's whole-of-government contracts.

Contracts, otherwise known as Common Use Arrangements (CUAs), exist for goods commonly bought by government, for example fuel, computers, electricity, travel, advertising, groceries and stationery.
Regional Buying Arrangements (RBAs) exist for regional purchasing. Examples of these include groceries, agricultural products and waste services.

CUAs and RBAs deliver more than just savings through pre-negotiated pricing. They also offer efficiencies like easy ordering and risk mitigation strategies such as strict due diligence practices as part of the tendering process. These contracts have you covered when it comes to compliance with relevant government policy and insurance
requirements, too.

Most CUAs are mandatory in the Perth metropolitan area. Before you buy, check that your purchase falls within your organisation's procurement policies.

Search CUAs now. 

Who can buy from a CUA?

Show more

The following groups are able to access CUAs:

  • Public authorities (a department of the Public Service of the State or an agency, authority or instrumentality of the Crown in right of the State) under the Commission's jurisdiction
  • approved Government entities not under the Commission's jurisdiction
  • approved Public Benevolent Institutions (PBIs)
  • other bodies approved by Finance such as Local Government and Universities.

The Register of who can buy from Common Use Arrangements (CUA) lists all the approved CUA users. This list assists contracted CUA suppliers in identifying persons and bodies approved to access their government contracts

How to apply to access CUAs

Show more

Government Entities

Submit a written application to Finance and provide justification for seeking access to CUAs under section 23 of the SSC Act 1991.

Public Benevolent Institutions (PBIs)

To be eligible to access CUAs, a PBI must:

  • have corporate status as an incorporated organisation under either the Associations Incorporation Act 1987 or the Aboriginal Councils and Associations Act 1976 or be a company limited by guarantee or by shares under Corporations Law
  • be endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as a Public Benevolent Institution under item 4.1.1 of the table listed in section 30-45 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936
  • be funded directly or indirectly, partially or entirely by either the Commonwealth, State or Local Government or be in receipt of a Lotteries Commission grant
  • be a non-profit organisation.

PBIs seeking access to the CUAs are subject to additional eligibility requirements, where they are incorporated under the Corporations Law. In the case of a PBI limited by guarantee, the company's constitution must prohibit (and continue to prohibit) any distribution of profit or property to its members. In the case of a PBI limited by shares, approval will be provided on a case-by-case-basis, depending on the nature of the company shareholding and the arrangements in place for the dealing of those shares.

Prospective PBI applicants or other government entities are required to complete the application form and provide documentation supporting their ability to meet the eligibility criteria.

If an approved PBI does not access a CUA within a 5 year period, the Department of Finance may remove them from the approved users list

Page reviewed 28 October 2019