Apply for the Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy

Fact sheet
Financial assistance for persons with thermoregulatory dysfunction, or their dependants, to offset energy costs for controlling the temperature in their home.
Last updated:

The thermoregulatory dysfunction energy subsidy assists financially disadvantaged persons, or their dependants, who experience thermoregulatory dysfunction to offset the energy costs associated with controlling the temperature in their home under medical advice.

Thermoregulatory dysfunction is defined as significant loss of a person’s capacity to control body temperature, and is associated with medical conditions that result in the person’s health and bodily function being seriously affected when exposed to extremes of environmental temperatures.

The subsidy of $771 (from 1 July 2023) is paid annually in advance directly into a bank account nominated by the applicant.  If you need to change your nominated account, complete the change of bank details form.

Before you submit your application, make sure the bank details you have provided are correct. If the payment is made to the wrong bank account, it may not be possible to get it back.


The applicant must hold one of the following means-tested concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs) or
  • Health Care Card (not including the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card) or
  • Health Care Interim Voucher.

RevenueWA will require your authorisation to confirm the status of your concession card with Centrelink and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Contact Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs for information about eligibility to Pensioner Concession Cards and Health Care Cards.

The applicant may be either:

  • the patient who requires heating and/or cooling for their own use or
  • the guardian or primary caregiver if the patient is residing in their home.

If an applicant is a child, or an adult who is unable to sign the application form due to age or disability, the guardian or primary caregiver may sign the form on their behalf and provide an explanation for doing so.

The applicant must meet at least two of the three qualifying criteria and be certified by a doctor who has been treating them for at least three months.

Medical authorisation

The medical authorisation must be completed and signed by the treating physician or specialist who has been treating the patient for at least three months.

Energy Policy WA requires the applicant’s and the treating physician’s authorisation to view medical records for the purpose of reviewing the applicant’s entitlement under the scheme.

Qualifying conditions

At least two of the following criteria must be met:

  1. A medical condition with an evidence-based association of deterioration in temperature extremes. For example, severe cases of spinal cord injury, stroke, brain injury, neurodegenerative disorders, multiple sclerosis and familial dysautonomia.
  2. Loss of skin integrity or loss of sweating capacity. For example, significant burns to greater than 20 per cent of body surface area, severe inflammatory skin conditions and some rare forms of disordered sweating.
  3. Objective reduction of autonomic regulation and physiological functioning at extremes of environmental temperatures (excessive sweating, heart rate increases or changes in blood pressure) resulting in dehydration, dizziness or fainting.

Excluded conditions

The following conditions, where there may be some discomfort or symptoms experienced when exposed to extremes of temperature, are examples of conditions excluded from the scheme:

  • Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder
  • autism
  • chronic fatigue
  • fibromyalgia
  • postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome
  • chronic pain
  • arthritis and
  • psychiatric conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Permanent condition

If the thermoregulatory dysfunction is permanent, the treating physician may confirm this on the form and must provide, with the application, a copy of the medical report stating the thermoregulatory dysfunction is permanent. Applicants may be permanently registered for the scheme if they have:

  • severe autonomic dysfunction, specifically:
    • high spinal transection
    • familial dysautonomia or
    • progressive neuro-genetic degenerative conditions.
  • extensive loss of skin integrity, with burns to over 50 per cent of the body surface area.

How to apply

The easiest way to apply is by completing the online form. To apply online, see the Energy Subsidy Schemes Portal Guide. If you would rather apply using the paper-based ‘Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Application Form’, make sure:

  • the form is completed in full, and the authorisation and declaration is signed by the applicant and patient (as applicable) and
  • the medical authorisation is completed in full by the treating physician and
  • you submit your completed application form to us by attaching it to a web enquiry or sending it to us by post.

If the subsidy is approved, payment will be made via electronic transfer into the nominated bank account within 10 working days.

If the patient lives in supported accommodation such as a hostel, nursing home, permanent caravan park home or similar, you must provide a copy of an invoice or similar document showing the applicant is individually billed and pays for measured energy usage.

RevenueWA has the right to decline an application (or demand repayment of any subsidy already paid) if the Commissioner is of the reasonable opinion that false or misleading information has been provided or if the eligibility criteria have not been met. Applicants may seek review of such a decision.

Renewing your application

Applications for the subsidy must be renewed annually and any changes to the patient’s circumstances or application details must be provided. You must immediately notify us if the applicant’s postal, email and/or residential address changes to ensure the renewal letter is received.

Every two years the patient’s medical condition will need to be recertified by the treating physician (see ‘medical authorisation’ above) to confirm ongoing eligibility under the scheme, unless the condition has been registered as permanent.

Applicants will receive a renewal notification each year before the anniversary date of the application.

If you made the initial application through the Online Services Portal or have subscribed to receive renewals by email, you will receive the renewal notification to complete the online form through the Online Services Portal.

If you receive a paper notice, you can attach the completed form to a web enquiry or send it to us by post.