Volunteering offers many incredible benefits and opportunities. You can act on your values and interests, while helping strengthen your community.
Benefits of volunteering
“It means so much that I belong to a community that I can help and serve. It makes me proud.” - Kam Phagura, volunteer at St John of God Murdoch Hospital
- Give to the community
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Gain new experience and skills
- Support a cause or organisation that matters to you
- Feel good, and help nurture your physical and mental health
How to get started
New to volunteering? Here are some things to consider before you get started:
- Think about your interests and what sort of tasks give you the most enjoyment.
- Plan out your time capacity so you are realistic about how much you can commit.
- Be aware of your motivations to volunteer, to help you thrive and be of benefit to the organisation.
- Start looking for opportunities online. Research local organisations and contact them to ask if they need help. Look out for ads on community boards, or at universities and TAFE.
- Apply for positions as if they are a paid opportunity. This means providing a detailed application with a cover letter. Your cover letter should explain:
- what appeals to you about the role; and
- how you are a good fit for the organisation.
Contact volunteering experts for help
Local volunteer experts in your community can support your volunteering journey,
- Volunteer Resource Centres can help you find current, local options.
- Your local council can provide connections to volunteer opportunities. Visit My Council through the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website to find your local council contact details.
Are these services not available in your area? VolunteeringWA has a range of resources to assist aspiring volunteers. A WA specific search function is available to help find your opportunities. This function links to both SEEK Volunteer and GoVolunteer.
Here are some places to get started if you are not sure what you would like to do or if you would like to try something new.