Sexual violence has a significant and lasting impact on victims, their families, and the wider community. Three projects are underway to prevent and respond to sexual violence in Western Australia (WA).
The Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime will, in partnership with the Department of Communities, lead the development of WA’s first sexual violence prevention and response strategy over the next two years.
Two major reviews to examine sexual offence laws and criminal justice processes in WA will inform the development and implementation of the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Strategy.
The Law Reform Commission of WA will review WA’s sexual offence laws, to consider if there is need for reform, including whether the concept of affirmative consent should be reflected in WA legislation.
The Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime will review the experience sexual violence victim-survivors have had with the criminal justice system. The review will consider the complete process, from reporting an offence through to the parole of an offender.
Public consultation will be held in 2022 and 2023. An announcement will be made when the consultation process opens.
You can contact the Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 61 8 9264 9877.
Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Strategy
Review of criminal justice responses to sexual offending
Review of sexual offences – Law Reform Commission of WA
In an emergency, or if you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call the police now on 000.
Support is available.
Helplines and 24-hour support.
- 1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732 (24-hour)
- Sexual Assault Resource Centre:
- Emergency Line: 1800 199 888 for sexual assault within the past 2 weeks (24-hour)
- Crisis Counselling: 61 8 6458 1828 (8.30 am to 11.00 pm, every day)
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 (24-hour)
- Mensline Australia: 1300 78 99 78 (24-hour)
- Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636 (24-hour)
- National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline: 1800 880 052 (9.00 am to 9.00 pm weekdays, 10.00 am to 4.00 pm weekends and public holidays)
- Blue Knot Foundation: for adult survivors of child abuse 1300 657 380 (9.00 am to 5.00 pm AEDT, 7 days a week,)
- QLife: 1800 184 527 LGBTIQ peer support, information and referrals for people wanting to talk about sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings and relationships (3.00 pm to 12.00 am, 7 days a week)
- Western Australia Police Force: 131 444 to report a sexual assault (24-hour) /
61 8 9428 1600 Sex Assault Squad
- Crisis Care: 1800 199 008 information and referral service for people in crisis needing urgent help and after hours response to reported concerns for a child’s safety and wellbeing (24-hour)
- Women’s Domestic Violence Helpline: 1800 007 339 support and counselling for women experiencing family and domestic violence, including referrals to women’s refuges (24-hour)
- Men’s Domestic Violence Helpline: 1800 000 599 counselling and referrals for men who use violence, as well as male victims of family and domestic violence (24-hour)
WA support services
- Allambee Counselling: 61 8 9535 8263 support and counselling for sexual abuse, assault and family violence
- Anglicare WA Sexual Abuse Services:
- Child Sexual Abuse Therapy Service – 61 8 9394 9200
- Kimberley Sexual Abuse Prevention and Response Service Broome – 618 9194 2400
- Kununurra – 61 8 9166 5000
- Marooloo Child Sexual Response Service Derby – 61 8 9193 1455
- Carnarvon Family Support Service Children’s Sexual Abuse Therapy Service: 61 8 9441 12512 Midwest and Gascoyne
- Dessert Blue Connect: 61 8 9964 2742 Geraldton Sexual Assault Support Services for people over 13 years
- Goldfields Women’s Healthcare Centre Sexual Assault Support Services: 61 8 9021 8266
- ISHAR Multicultural Women’s Health Service: 61 8 9345 5335 Women’s Health, Social Support, Family and domestic violence services
- MacKillop Family Services – Indigenous Healing Service: 61 8 9148 1600 Pilbara Indigenous Healing Service, Children’s Sexual Abuse Therapy Service
- Magenta: 61 8 9328 1387 support, health services, education, information and counselling for workers in the sex industry
- Parkerville Children’s Sexual Abuse Therapy Service: 61 8 9235 7000
- Phoenix Support and Advocacy Service: 61 8 9443 1910 counselling and support for survivors of child sexual abuse
- Relationships Australia Acacia Pilbara Sexual Assault Support Services: 61 8 6164 0520 Port Hedland, for people over 13 years
- SECCA: 61 8 9420 7226 support and counselling for people with disability on relationships, sexuality and sexual health
- Young Women Against Sexual Violence: email@example.com peer support network and advocacy organisation for people with lived experience of sexual violence
- Uniting WA Children’s Sexual Abuse Therapy Services: 1300 663 298
- Waratah Support Centre: 61 8 9791 2884 South West Region counselling and support service for children and adults who have experienced sexual abuse or assault
- Yaandina Child and Family Counselling Services: 61 8 9182 1172 Pilbara Children’s Sexual Abuse Therapy Services (referral required)
- Yorgum Healing Services: 61 8 9535 8263 Indigenous Healing Service, Children’s sexual abuse Therapy Service
Translating and Interpreting ServiceShow more
If you are assisting someone who does not speak English, first call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50. They can connect you with the service of your choice and interpret for you.