Finances: Help and Support

Most debts have to be paid eventually. You can start dealing with these debts while you are in prison. The following pages have contact details to get the information and provide the assistance you may need to start dealing with your debts.
Last updated:

Material Aid means food or food vouchers, electricity vouchers, clothing or furniture.

Assistance with debts

If you owe Centrelink money you will need to pay it back. This web page outlines different methods of repaying the money.
Telephone: 1800 076 072.

Help in an emergency
Crisis Payment - This page provides information about a one off payment for severe financial hardship - Telephone: 132 850
Special benefit - This page provides information about a hardship payment when other income support is not available - Telephone: 132 850

Child Support Hotline
Telephone: 1800 241 272

Centrelink Financial Information
Provides information about financial issues to help people improve their standard of living.
Telephone: 132 300
Recorded information about payments
Telephone: 132 468

Monday to Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (Phone for appointment)

National Debt helpline
Chat with a financial counsellor 1800 007 007 Monday to Friday 9.30 am to 4.30 pm.
The National Debt Helpline operates a phone based financial counselling service and is often the first point of contact for people in financial crisis situations.

St Vincent de Paul Society Financial Counselling
Vinnies WA financial counsellors are qualified professionals who offer independent, free, and confidential financial advice and advocacy.
For financial counselling, call 61 86323 7500 or email:
Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm.
This is a free and confidential service arranged by appointment only.

Uniting Care West Financial Counselling
Address: Unit 5, 5 Aberdeen Street, East Perth WA 6004
Telephone: +61 89220 1255
Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Monday’s at 8:00 am for Financial Counselling Appointment
or Tuesday 1:30 pm for Emergency relief Appointment

MoneySmart provides calculators and tips to help you make better financial decisions from ASIC and the Australian Government. Free and impartial financial guidance, tools and motivation.

Material Aid Agencies

Anglicare WA
Anglicare WA offers a wide range of services with almost 50 service locations across WA.
Telephone: 1300 11 44 46

Anglicare WA
Emergency relief and support for individuals through counselling, housing, financial counselling and provision of clothing and furniture.
Telephone: 61 8 9263 2000

Department of Justice, Warminda Outreach Container
Household kitchen supplies - cups, plate, pots and pans.
Telephone: 61 8 6250 9200

ERConnect assists with food, accommodation, financial counselling, overdue bills and other services. On the web page, complete the search box and find agencies in your locality.

Red Cross Australia
Emergency Relief available (Monday–Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Address: 2/118 Bennett Street, East Perth WA 6004.
Telephone: 61 8 9225 8830. 

Communicare aims to create community inclusion and community safety by working with individuals, families and communities to facilitate social and economic inclusion for all and establish and sustain safe and healthy communities.
To find a Communicare location, refer to Communicare locations.

Life Line
24-hour counselling - Provides practical help by providing emergency aid, relief funds and food parcels.
Telephone: 13 11 14

Salvation Army Family Support
Telephone: 13 72 58

St Vincent de Paul Society
Call to arrange for a home visit for Emergency Relief Assistance
Telephone: 1300 794 054