Report out of control parties and noise complaints

It is considered an out of control gathering when the party contains at least 12 people with at least two engaging in anti-social behaviour.
Last updated:

Examples of an out of control party or anti-social behaviour include:

  • trespassing
  • damaging property
  • disorderly conduct
  • fighting
  • committing obscene acts
  • emitting unreasonable noise
  • throwing objects to harm people
  • obstructing traffic
  • being drunk
  • breaking glass.

Contact police on 131 444 or in person at your local police station who will attend and take appropriate measures to restore peace and good order, protect the safety of any person, or prevent damage to property.

Police may enter premises and order the organisers to cease the party/gathering and order people to leave. They may also seize party equipment. 

Contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 to report a potential out of control party advertised on social media.

Reoccurring unreasonable noise

Contact your local government authority to report neighbours, venues or hotels.


A person convicted of organising an out of control party may face up to 12 months imprisonment and a $12,000 fine. 

Circumstances of aggravation in relation to not abiding by an order will attract higher penalties. They may also be liable for other costs such as the cost of police to attend the incident.