Return your vehicle plates

If your vehicle licence has been cancelled, the plates must be returned to the Department of Transport.
Last updated:

Vehicle licences may be cancelled if there is:

  • an outstanding work order
  • a defect notice
  • an immobiliser has not been fitted
  • a dishonoured payment
  • the vehicle is written off
  • you voluntarily cancel the licence.

Plates can be returned to a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent but not at metropolitan Australia Post outlets.

They can also be posted with a note explaining why you are returning the plates to: 

Driver and Vehicle Services
Returned number plates
GPO Box R1290
Perth WA 6844

You may be able to get a refund if the vehicle licence had not yet expired.