Elder abuse affects many older Western Australians, and may involve social, physical, sexual, psychological, emotional or financial abuse.
The Department of Communities is working to reduce elder abuse in Western Australia through the development and implementation of an elder abuse strategy and the provision of resources designed to support individuals and service providers.
Elder abuse support services
- Council on the Ageing WA (COTA WA) is the Seniors Peak Body in Western Australia. Call COTA WA on (08) 9472 0104.
- Advocare assists older people to understand their rights and provides free confidential information and support to older people who are at risk of or experiencing elder abuse. Call the Elder Abuse Helpline on 1300 724 679.
- Elder Rights WA (ERWA) is a state-wide holistic legal service delivered by Legal Aid WA. A specialised team of Lawyers provides legal advice, assistance and representation to vulnerable seniors who are experiencing certain types of legal matters. Social Workers are also available to support ERWA clients in dealing with social, physical and mental challenges which may impact their legal concerns. Call the Legal Aid WA Infoline on 1300 650 579.
- Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre (NSCLC) provides the Older People’s Rights Service, including free legal advice, advocacy, information and social support to those at risk or experiencing elder abuse - it is a wrap-around model of service. In addition, NSCLC’s Elder Abuse Peer Education Scheme uses specifically trained volunteers to connect and educate older people in the community about elder abuse through presentations to community groups, the Purple Road, participation in community events and networks and the Seniors at Risk at Home telephone support service. Call NSCLC on (08) 9440 1663 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Office of the Public Advocate works to promote and protect the human rights of Western Australian adults with decision-making disabilities. The office can provide information about Enduring Power of Attorney and Enduring Power of Guardianship. Call the Telephone Advisory Service on 1300 858 455.
- The Public Trustee offers independent trustee and asset management services. These include Will and Enduring Power of Attorney drafting, deceased estate administration, executor support, financial administration and trust management services. Call 1300 746 212.
Elder abuse awareness brochure
Information about elder abuse, including where to go for help.
Elder abuse awareness posters
Download our suite of 'Stop elder abuse' posters.
These posters are also available in Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Italian and Vietnamese.
Elder abuse awareness postcards
Download our suite of 'Stop elder abuse' postcards.
At Home Guide
Council on the Ageing Western Australia’s (COTA WA’s) At Home Guide supports older Western Australians to live well. Developed in partnership with the Department of Communities, the guide is designed as an ongoing companion for seniors at home.
Access COTA WA’s At Home Guide (PDF and video available).