Access to prisoner information

The Department of Justice understands it can be a difficult time for families and friends when a loved one is in prison.
Last updated:

If you, your family or a friend wants to know more about a prisoner, you can write to the Minister for Corrective Services or the Commissioner, Corrective Services. It is important to get prisoner consent before you proceed.

Certain prisoner information can be accessed as outlined below. Access to specific prisoner records is only available through the Freedom of Information process.

Location of a prisoner

If you do not know the current location of a prisoner in Western Australia, complete the online enquiry form.

Your request must include the following:

  • The full name of the person you wish to know the location of, as well as any other details you have which will assist us in identifying the person (eg date of birth)
  • Your full name including contact details
  • Your relationship to the person you are requesting the location of or your reasons for requesting the information.

If you do not have access to email, please call the Department's Information Release area on Monday to Friday between 8.30 am to 4.30 pm on 61 8 9264 1711. An officer will ask you for the above details in order for your request to be processed.  We will respond to your query as soon as possible.

Note: Incomplete details may cause delays in processing your request.

If you know the current location of a prisoner in Western Australia and are wanting to book a visit or have additional queries, please contact the relevant prison. Contact details for prisons and detention centres within Western Australia are available on the Visiting prisons or detention centre page.

Note: Staff may not be able to assist with all queries as some information may only be accessible directly from the prisoner.

Online Enquiry Form

Please complete this form to submit your enquiry to the Department of Justice.

Release of Prisoner information

The Minister and/or the Commissioner will only release prisoner information after the prisoner concerned has consented to the release of information. On receipt of consent, they will be in a better position to provide you with an understanding of your loved one's condition and management.

If you wish to write to the Commissioner or the Minister, the correct address is:


Commissioner for Corrective Services
Department of Justice
David Malcolm Justice Centre
GPO Box F317


Honourable Paul Papalia CSC, MLA
Minister for Corrective Services

Dumas House
Level 10
2 Havelock Street
Telephone: 61 8 6552 5600

Access to health information on ex-prisoners for health providers

Community health care providers can access medical information about patients who are ex-prisoners through a dedicated telephone line provided by the Department.

The Department provides all prisoners with a written summary of their medical records when they are released from custody. To enable ongoing clinical care to be given by the relevant community health care provider, where patients have mislaid this information, a 1800 telephone number has been set up.

The 1800 077 735 number (the Department’s Central Medical Records) is available to all health care providers during normal business hours. Outside these hours details of the enquiry (including name of enquirer and telephone number) can be left on an answering machine and will be responded to as soon as possible.