Applications for 2023-24 are now open and close 4 pm Friday 23 September 2022.
A great program for students
The School Based Traineeship Program provides students entering Year 11 a fantastic opportunity to get paid, gain on the job experience and build a range of workplace skills.
Over 18 months trainees:
- get paid a fortnightly part time salary
- undertake work (Thursdays and Fridays) in a government agency that counts towards their Western Australian Certificate of Education
- complete a nationally recognised Certificate II in Government
- are provided with ongoing support from a workplace supervisor to develop valuable workplace skills necessary for future employment.
To apply for 2023 students must:
- start Year 11 in 2023
- be a permanent resident or Australian or New Zealand citizen.
Students who are not a permanent resident of Australia or a New Zealand citizen will need to provide with their application a copy of an Australian visa that supports the traineeship contract requirements.
See information for students for more information.
A great program for agencies
By employing and supporting a school based trainee public sector agencies tap into new ideas and fresh talent. Employing young people helps your agency and the sector make progress towards employment targets for young people.
Public sector agencies can employ school based trainees if they can:
- fund the salary and training costs of the trainee throughout the program
- allocate a staff member to supervise and support the trainee throughout the program and the completion of the trainee’s Certificate II in Government, as well as provide them with regular and meaningful administrative tasks.
See information for agencies for more information