Rights of people with disability

Know your rights and how you are protected in difficult situations.

Many people can advocate on their own behalf to ensure their rights are upheld, including referring to legislation and using complaints mechanisms. Others may seek assistance from friends or organisations to protect their rights. The Department of Communities provides funding to a number of organisations to provide independent disability advocacy.

Making a complaint about a service

People with disability and their families and carers have the right to make a complaint about a service they have received. A complaint can be made by contacting the service provider’s complaints office. Complaints about services or supports received from the Department of Communities can be made to the Consumer Liaison Office or to the Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (HaDSCO). HaDSCO is an independent Statutory Authority offering impartial resolution to health, disability and mental health services in Western Australia and Indian Ocean Territories.

If your supports are funded through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), you can call the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544 to make a complaint.



Western Australia

Support links

Consumer rights for people with disability

Consumer Protection offers a variety of resources to assist consumers with disability understand their rights when they buy something or enter into a contract.

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Commission provides information on areas which include disability rights, age and race discrimination, human rights, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders social justice matters.

Concessions WA

Government of Western Australia concessions including legal matters.

Ministerial Advisory Council on Disability

The Ministerial Advisory Council on Disability (the Council) provides the WA Government with advice and perspectives on issues relating to disability in WA. The Council seeks to represent all people with disability, their families and carers and individual Council members bring knowledge, lived experience and invaluable professional and personal networks to the table.


The Ombudsman resolves complaints about the decision-making of public authorities. The Ombudsman is also an officer of the Parliament, independent of the government of the day and acts impartially of all parties in dispute. Services are free and available to everyone.

Office of the Public Advocate

The Office of the Public Advocate provides access to advocacy, guardianship and administration services which protect and promote the financial interests and welfare of adults with a decision-making disability.

Page reviewed 16 August 2022