Licences to use Crown land

A licence allows a person or organisation the right to use a specified portion of Crown land for a specific purpose and period.
Last updated:

A licence may be granted for an unmanaged reserve or Crown land under certain circumstances by the Minister for Lands under the Land Administration Act.

A licence does not grant an exclusive right to the land and members of the public cannot be excluded from licensed Crown land. In some circumstances public access may be restricted in the interests of public safety.

To apply for a licence, you will need to complete the Crown land enquiry form.

Please note - If the proposed event or activity is on Crown land that is owned or in the care, control or management of a number of land owners, bodies or authorities, then you may need a separate licence or approval from each land owner, body or authority.

Licences for the purpose of events and other activities on Crown land

When do I need a licence?

A licence may be required if you are proposing to hold an event or conduct an activity over Crown land. The type of licence or other approval that may be required depends on the location of the Crown land to which you require access, as well as the type and length of the event or activity.

Where do I get the licence from?

In most cases, a licence to access Crown land would be issued by the department under section 48 or 91 of the Land Administration Act 1997 (LAA).

However, in some cases, a licence or approval might be issued by a local government, Main Roads Western Australia or another body managing Crown land (see type of land and responsible bodies below). 

How do I know if my event or activity is on Crown land?

If you are unsure if the location of your proposed enquiry is on Crown land, your first step is to contact Landgate to identify the owner or management body of the land by:

  • calling +61 (0)8 9273 7373 
  • visiting Landgate's website
  • in person at the Landgate Office, at 1 Midland Square, Midland.

If the land is private or freehold, then you will need to contact the owner of that land.

If the land is Crown land, please see below some of the most common types of Crown land and the bodies, authorities or land owners responsible for granting a licence or approval to access.