Register a birth

Information on how to register a birth and apply for a birth certificate.
Last updated:

Important information

If you're using your birth or marriage certificate to establish your Digital Identity through myGovID:

  • Check the mygovID verifying your identity page for help, especially if your birth certificate was issued before 26 November 2001.
  • If you need further assistance, contact the myGovID support team.
  • The Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages cannot assist with the myGovID verification process and for privacy reasons, certificate details will not be given over the telephone.

Apply for certificates online

This page provides information regarding recognition of early pregnancy loss, adoptions and the most popular baby names in Western Australia.

For all births occurring in Western Australia, the child's birth registration form must be lodged with the Registry within 60 days of the birth to enable your newborn to be officially recognised for a range of services.

The hospital or midwife will provide you with a Birth Registration Form which must be completed and signed by both parents. If only one parent has signed, they must provide an explanation why the other parent has not signed. In cases of twin or triplet births, a separate Birth Registration Form must be completed for each child.

Home (free) birth

If the birth occurred at home or in a location other than a hospital and the child is taken to a hospital within 24 hours of the birth, the hospital will provide you with a Birth Registration Form.

If the birth occurred in a location other than a hospital without a registered doctor or midwife in attendance and the child was NOT taken to a hospital within 24 hours of the birth the Registry:

  • requires written notification of the birth occurring in Western Australia including parent/s name and home address.
  • will provide further instruction and a list of requirements upon receipt of the written notification before a Birth Registration Form is issued.
  • requires the Birth Registration Form to be completed and signed by the parent/s and returned within 60 days of the child's birth.

Same sex parents

From September 2002, women in a same sex relationship, who have undergone artificial fertilisation, may be recorded on their child’s birth registration provided both parents consented to the fertilisation procedure. A standard Birth Registration Form is used and provided by the hospital or midwife.

Early pregnancy loss

A recognition certificate for early pregnancy loss is available to commemorate the loss of a child which occurred before 20 weeks gestation, or if gestation weeks are unknown, the baby weighed less than 400 grams.

Recognition certificates are only available to the parent/s of the child. If only one parent signs the application the other parent's name will not appear on the recognition certificate.

The certificate will be issued free of charge however there is a limit of three certificates per child. A recognition certificate cannot be used for official purposes.


If you were legally adopted in Western Australia, a copy of your post-adoption birth certificate is available from the Registry.

If you are a party to an adoption or a relative of an adopted person and would like to know how to access other information relating to the adoption please contact the Department for Child protection - Post Adoption Services.

Apply for a birth certificate

You can apply for a certified birth certificate if the birth was registered in WA. This certificate is for everyday use such as a passport application, opening a bank account and evidence-of-identity. If the event occurred in another State or Territory, contact the relevant Registry Office.

Commemorative Birth Certificates

These certificates are available for anyone born and registered in Western Australia and make the perfect gift to celebrate the birth of a newborn child or to preserve your family history. A certified birth certificate is issued with each commemorative birth certificate.

Note: Commemorative birth certificates cannot be used for official purposes.

commemorative birth certificate - Our Golden Past
commemorative birth certificate - Our Golden Past
commemorative birth certificate - Our Golden Past
commemorative birth certificate - Our Golden Past
Our golden past - capture the excitement of Paddy Hannan and the days of the gold rush.
Hands - a contemporary design
capturing the sentiment of the bond
between parent and child.
Floral - Western Australian wildflowers in a classic, timeless design.
Wildlife - a beautiful water colour capturing some of our State's unique wildlife.
commemorative birth certificate - Bears
commemorative birth certificate - Baby prints
commemorative birth certificate - Landscape
Bears - soft antique hues portraying the classic teddy bear.
Baby prints - parents can place their child’s hand or foot prints on the document. Illustrated is a sample of the certificate with an infant's foot prints .
Landscapes - a montage of
stunning landscapes which highlight the rugged beauty of our vast State.

Who can apply for a birth certificate?

Access Type
Specific Requirements
Anyone (must be 16 years or over)
For births 100 years or more
Person named on the certificate
Children under 16 years of age must have written consent from a parent named in the certificate.
Must be named on the certificate. If the child is 18 yrs. old and has registered a name change since turning 18 - Restricted unless the applicant can provide:
  • Written Authority from the person named on the certificate; or
  • Evidence that the person is deceased; or
  • Evidence that the certificate is required for some legal right or entitlement
Non-parental custodian or guardian
Document establishing legal custody or guardianship.
Child, Current Spouse (incl. defacto), Brother, Sister or
Other relative - see also 'Other Agent'.
Restricted, unless the applicant can provide:
  • Written authority from the person or parent named in the certificate; or
  • Evidence that the person is deceased and spouse/defacto is named on the death certificate; or
  • Evidence that the certificate is required for some legal right or entitlement.
Access to original information from an adoption record.
Must have written authority from the Department for Communities.
Deceased Estate
Executor or Administrator
Public Trustee
Application must be on business letterhead, or must show evidence of applicant's executor, administrator or trustee status.
Government or non-Government Welfare Agency
Application must be on business letterhead and must be acting in the interests of or with the written authority of the person named in the certificate.
Court - State or Federal
Application must be on Court letterhead or a Court order provided.
Law Enforcement
Any Government body dealing in law enforcement eg Police, Anti-Corruption Commission, Courts etc.
Application must be on business letterhead and must be made in pursuance of an investigation or preparation of a prosecution or pursuant to a valid warrant or Court order.  (Does not include debt collectors or private investigators).
Medical organisations or government body requiring to contact persons with a potentially life threatening medical condition.
Applications must be made on business letterhead and referred to the Registrar for consideration.
For general medical research enquiries refer to Registrar for consideration.
Government Bodies - Statutory Access
Government body having right of access under Federal or State legislation, eg Child Support Agency, Centrelink, Department of Communities.
Application must be on business letterhead or approved form eg Child Support Agency verification form.
Application must be on business letterhead and Solicitor must be acting for a person entitled to access under 'Family' or 'Deceased Estate' and subject to the same requirements.
Other Agent (including Consulates)
Any person with written authority from the person named in the certificate or a person entitled to the certificate as identified in this policy document
Identification documents of the person named in the certificate or other person entitled to the certificate as stated under ‘Family’.
Power of Attorney
Documentary evidence of Power of Attorney required:
  • must be referred to Manager Registry Services and Policy to check if Power of Attorney extends beyond the person’s property and/or financial affairs.
  • Before accepting payment Courthouses must forward certificate applications with a copy of the accompanying Power of Attorney evidence to the Manager Registry Services and Policy for consideration.

Current as at 24 January 2018 and subject to change without notice.

Forms and fees



The fees for applying for a birth certificate:

  • $55 - Certified Birth Certificate
  • $65 - Commemorative Birth Certificate
  • $36 - Reduced Fee Birth Certificate (for a Birth or Marriage or Death that was registered 75 or more years ago)
  • $20 - Uncertified Birth copy of a Registration (births +100 yrs.)
  • $42 - Priority Service (not payable when applying in person)

The following payment methods are accepted:

  • Credit Card - MasterCard or Visa only
  • EFTPOS Debit Card or Cash - When paying in person
  • Cheque or money order - Payable to Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. When paying at a WA court payable to the Department of Justice
  • Overseas applicants - $AUD via credit card (MasterCard or Visa only) or international money order or bank draft payable to Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Refund policy

  • The Refund Policy (PDF 541.32KB) outlines the circumstances that are considered for refund of fees paid for goods or services provided by the Western Australian Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.

Identification that you need

Applicants are required to provide at least three forms of evidence-of-identity documents before being eligible to receive certificates.

One from List 1, 2 and 3. At least one containing a photograph


One from List 1 and two from List 2. At least one containing a photograph


Two from List 2 and one from List 3. At least one containing a signature.

  • Australian Driver’s Licence
  • Australian Learner Driver’s permit card
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate (with evidence of residential status)
  • Australian Firearm Licence
  • Australian Passport
  • Defence Force/Police Id Card
  • Western Australia Photo Card, Over 18 or Proof of Identity Card

List 2 – Evidence of Operating in the Community

  • A financial institution Debit or Credit Card (not accepted for online applications)
  • Australian Security or Crowd Control Licence
  • Birth Certificates (birth extracts are not accepted)
  • Centrelink/Veterans Affairs Entitlement Card
  • Document of identity issued by the Passport Office
  • Medicare Card
  • Naturalisation, citizenship or immigration papers issued by the Department of Home Affairs
  • Overseas passport
  • Student Identity Document or Statement of Enrolment
  • Working with Children Check card

List 3 – Proof of Residency

  • Drivers licence renewal notice
  • Financial institution statement less than 6 months old
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Property Lease or Tenancy Agreement
  • Shire/Water rates notice
  • Student Report or Certificate less than 12 months old
  • Utility Account less than 6 months old

For overseas applicants, the Registry will consider overseas equivalent evidence-of-identity documents.

Where to apply

Certificate applications can be submitted:


Apply online at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Online

In person

At the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Perth or at any court location in Albany, Armadale, Broome, Bunbury, Busselton, Carnarvon, Collie, Derby, Esperance, Fremantle, Geraldton, Joondalup, Kalgoorlie, Karratha, Katanning, Kununurra, Mandurah, Manjimup, Merredin, Midland, Moora, Narrogin, Northam, Rockingham and South Hedland.

By post

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square