What are agencies buying?

Find out what agencies are buying with the Who Buys What and How reports and where to find new tender opportunities.

Agencies purchase a wide range of goods, services and works – the following resources will help you to identify which agencies are relevant to your business. 

Who Buys What and How reports provide a high level overview of agency spend, Whole of Government Common Use Arrangements expenditure and awarded contracts recorded in Tenders WA. It is a good place to start to find out which agencies are buying goods, services or works from your industry.

Tenders WA is the best place to look for detailed information on current tenders, or what contracts agencies have previously tendered and awarded.

On Tenders WA you can search agency contracts according to United Nations Standard Products and Services Code (UNSPSC). UNSPSC is a taxonomy of products and services that government agencies use to indicate the product or service their agency is looking to procure. 

Some agencies tender on their own platforms. Further information about opportunities with the Western Australian government are available on the Industry Link website

Who buys what and how

Show more
These reports give an overview of agency spending on goods, services, and works.

Who Buys What and How is an annual report on the goods, services and works expenditure of government agencies according to information listed on Tenders WA, Common Use Arrangements and other expenditure reports. It is a valuable information source for both business and government. The reports are used by government to analyse spending patterns and help identify opportunities for new Common Use Arrangements. Potential suppliers to government may find the reports useful to understand what agencies are purchasing, to market their business to the right government buyers. 

Show more
There are several agencies involved in procuring works and works-related services

The Department of Finance is responsible for managing state government non-residential building projects, but there are several other agencies who manage their own works projects and have their own areas of expertise.

The following lists agencies that manage works projects (other than the Department of Finance). These agencies represent the most significant works procurement spend, but there are others who procure works from time to time. You can look on Tenders WA or consult the Who Buys What and How reports for further information.

Agencies using Tenders WA include:

  • Department of Communities (Housing Authority): Delivers state-owned residential building projects and maintains state-owned residential buildings.  The Housing Authority is also an affordable housing provider involved in land development, housing construction and property management.
  • Public Transport Authority: Design and build major transport infrastructure (rail, bus and ferry networks), maintenance of transport infrastructure.
  • Main Roads: Main Roads is responsible for delivering and management of a safe and efficient main road network in WA through operations including building the state's major government road infrastructure projects and maintaining the state's major government roads, bridges, verges and reserves. You can look at upcoming projects on the Main Road’s project site
  • Department of Health: The Department of Health manages their own works projects where they are valued below $2.2 million (including GST.). This includes maintenance and minor works of any buildings owned by the Department of Health.
  • Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority: Primary function of the MRA is to plan, undertake, promote and coordinate the development of land in redevelopment areas across the Perth metropolitan area, in partnership with government, communities and industry. You can direct any queries about tendering with the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority to mra.tenders@mra.gov.au
  • Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions: the Department brings together the Department of Parks and Wildlife, Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, Rottnest Island Authority and Zoological Parks Authority, and is responsible for building and maintaining facilities in Western Australia’s national parks.
  • Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage: manage the development and maintenance of heritage buildings in Western Australia.
  • VenuesWest: owns, manages and maintains Western Australia’s sport and entertainment venues on behalf of the State Government.
  • Metropolitan Cemeteries Board: is responsible for managing cemeteries at Fremantle, Guildford, Karrakatta, Midland, Pinnaroo and Rockingham.


    Page reviewed 16 January 2020