The MRS area stretches from Singleton in the south to Two Rocks in the north and east to The Lakes.
It requires local government town planning schemes to provide detailed plans for their part of the region, consistent with the MRS.
Zones, reservations and bush forever areasShow more
Urban: Areas in which a range of activities are undertaken, including residential, commercial recreational and light industry
Urban deferred: Land identified for future urban uses following the extension of urban services, the progressive development of adjacent urban areas, and resolution of any environmental and planning requirements relating to development.
The WAPC must be satisfied that these issues have been addressed before rezoning to Urban.
Central city area: Strategic regional centres for major retail, commercial and office facilities as well as employment, civic, business and residential uses.
Industrial and special industrial: Land in which manufacture, processing, warehousing and related activities are undertaken.
Rural: Land in which a range of agricultural, extractive and conservation uses are undertaken.
Private recreation: Areas of significance to the regions recreation resource which are or are proposed to be managed by the private sector.
Rural - water protection: Rural land over public groundwater areas, where land use is controlled to avoid contamination.
Land is reserved for community purposes. It may be reserved to protect a resource or to provide areas for infrastructure. The following descriptions are a guide.
Parks and recreation: Land of regional significance for ecological, recreation or landscape purposes.
Railways: Provides for public transit routes, freight rail lines and associated facilities such as park'n'ride stations, maintenance depots and marshalling yards.
Port installations: Regional maritime shipping facilities.
State forests: Areas of woodland located on Crown land managed under the Conservation and Land Management Act 1984.
Water catchments: Water sources protected for high quality public water supply. These areas have strict controls on land use to avoid pollution of the water resource.
Civic and cultural: Significant civic precincts and buildings.
Waterways: Permanent inland and coastal waters including many rivers and reservoirs.
Public purposes: Land for public facilities such as hospitals, high schools, universities, car parks, and prisons, utilities for electricity and water, commonwealth government and other special uses.
Primary regional roads: These are the most important of the roads of regional significance in the planned road network, and are currently or proposed to be declared under the Main Roads Act 1930.
Other regional roads: These are roads of regional significance in the planned road network for which the planning responsibilities are shared by the WAPC and local governments.
Bush forever area: Areas identified as Bush Forever are subject to the planning requirements of State Planning Policy 2.8 - Bushland Policy for the Perth Metropolitan Region.
MRS amendmentsShow more
Below are active and recently finalised MRS amendments. Copies of archived MRS amendments are available on request.
How long does an MRS amendment take?
In general, a major MRS amendment usually takes 24 months to complete, depending on the environmental assessment process, the number of submissions and requests for hearings. The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) will consider all submissions before making a recommendation to the Minister for Planning.
MRS amendments for public comment
- MRS Minor amendment 1379/57 - North-East and North-West Districts Omnibus 3
- MRS Minor amendment 1382/57 – Kenwick Rail Freight Facility - Railways Reservation
MRS amendments in progress
- MRS Minor amendment 1376/57 - Normalisation Wungong
- MRS minor amendment 1368/57 - Wandi High School Site
- MRS Major amendment 1313/41 - Midland Freight Rail Realignment
- MRS Major amendment 1138/41 - East Leighton
- MRS Major amendment 1199/41 - West Perth Regeneration Precinct
- MRS Minor amendment 1380/57 – South-East and South-West Districts Omnibus 4
- MRS Minor amendment 1381/57 – Part Lots 9001, 9020 & 9035 Lyon Road, Wandi
MRS amendments finalised
- MRS Minor amendment 1377/57 - Forrestfield North Environmental Conservation Areas - Finalised 15 Oct 2021
- MRS Minor amendment 1378/57 - Lot 71 Chateau Place and Lot 72 Millhouse Road, Aveley - Finalised 5 Oct 2021
- MRS Amendment 1386/27 - Lot 7 Chittering Road, Bullsbrook - Finalised 14 Sept 2021
- MRS Amendment 1385/27 - Central Bullsbrook Urban Precinct - Finalised 14 Sept 2021
- MRS Amendment 1384/27 - Lots 1797 & 1798 Matison Road, Southern River - Finalised 20 Aug 2021
- MRS Amendment 1383/27 - Balannup, Ranford, Reilly & Skeet Roads Precinct, Harrisdale - Finalised 6 Aug 2021
- MRS Minor amendment 1369/57 – West Piara Urban Precinct - Finalised 20 Nov 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1372/57 - Pt Lot 800 Canning Road, Carmel (Heidelberg Park) - Finalised 22 Dec 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1373/57 – Old Railway Reserve, Kalamunda and Surrounds - Finalised 22 Dec 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1367/57 - Part Lot 5131 Jandakot Road, Treeby and Surrounds - Finalised 22 Dec 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1328/57 - Hazelmere Enterprise Area Structure Plan – Precinct 7 - Finalised 22 Dec 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1361/57 - City of Canning Omnibus 1 - Finalised 6 Oct 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1366/57 - Lot 912 Midland Road, Bushmead - Finalised 17 Nov 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1365/57 – Pt Lot 4 Fern Road and Pt Lot 102 Castledare Place, Wilson - Finalised 17 Nov 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1364/57 - Kwinana Freeway, Mundijong Road, Kulija Road Intersection - Finalised 17 Nov 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1370/57 - West Piara High School Site - Finalised 3 Nov 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1357/57 - Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority Normalisation Midland - Finalised 11 Sept 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1363/57 - Lots 15 and 18 Mason Road, Kwinana Beach - Finalised 21 Aug 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1358/57 - Sawyers Valley Urban Precinct - Finalised 21 Aug 2020
- MRS amendment 1375/27 - Adelaide Street, Hazelmere, City of Swan - Finalised 23 Jun 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1356/57 - Normalisation of Central Perth and Subiaco Redevelopment Area - Finalised 12 Jun 2020
- MRS minor amendment 1360/57 - Normalisation of Armadale Redevelopment Areas - Finalised 12 Jun 2020
- MRS amendment 1374/27 - North Sinagra Precinct, City of Wanneroo - Finalised 12 Jun 2020
- MRS Minor Amendment 1353/57 - Lot 33 Hopkinson Road, Cardup - Finalised 22 May 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1352/57 - Part Lot 799 Katharine Street, Bellevue - Finalised 3 Apr 2020
- MRS amendment 1371/27 - Belgrade Rd, Wanneroo and portions Belgrade Rd and Steven St - Finalised 13 Mar 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1333/57 - Bush Forever Omnibus 1 (North) - Finalised 28 Feb 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1334/57 - Bush Forever Omnibus 2 (Central) - Finalised 28 Feb 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1335/57 - Bush Forever Omnibus 3 (South) - Finalised 28 Feb 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1355/57 - Redcliffe Connect Precinct - Finalised 31 Jan 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1347/57 - North Parkerville Urban Area - Finalised 31 Jan 2020
- MRS Minor amendment 1359/57 - Vincent Street, Leederville - Other Regional Roads Rationalisation - Finalised 24 Dec 2019
- MRS amendments 1323/41 and 1324/41 - Bullsbrook Urban Precinct (South and Central) - Finalised 21 Nov 2019
- MRS amendment 1362/27 - Lot 1665 Wanneroo Road, Singara, City of Wanneroo - Finalised 8 Nov 2019
- MRS Minor amendment 1340/57 - South Forrestdale Business Park Stage 2 - Finalised 18 Oct 2018
- MRS Minor amendment 1343/57 - South East and South West Districts Omnibus 3 - Finalised 27 Sep 2019
- MRS major amendment 1325/41 - North Bullsbrook Urban Precinct - Finalised 13 Nov 2019
- MRS Minor amendment 1341/57 - Central Districts Omnibus 5 - Finalised 2 July 2019
- MRS Minor amendment 1339/57 - North-East and North-West Districts Omnibus 2 - Finalised 2 July 2019
- MRS Major amendment 1332/41 - Swan Valley Omnibus 1 - Finalised 9 Aug 2019
- MRS Minor amendment 1346/57 - Lots 705 – 708 Armadale Road, Treeby - Finalised 18 Apr 2019
- MRS amendment 1350/27 - Portion of Mandogalup Precinct, City of Kwinana - Finalised 12 Apr 2019
- MRS amendment 1354/27 - Pt East Wanneroo Cell 2, City of Wanneroo - Finalised 12 Apr 2019
- MRS Minor amendment 1342/57 - Eric Singleton Reserve And Environs - Finalised 4 Dec 2018
- MRS amendment 1349/27 - Lots 1793-1795 Matison Street, Southern River, City of Gosnells - Finalised 30 Nov 2018
- MRS Minor amendment 1331/57 - Rosehill Waters, City of Swan - Finalised 9 Nov 2018
- MRS Minor amendment 1329/57 - Henley Brook Urban Precinct - Finalised 19 Oct 2018
- MRS amendment 1326/57 - Bullsbrook East, City of Swan - Finalised 11 May 2017
Archived MRS amendmentsShow more
Archived MRS minor amendments
- 1293/57 Shenton Park Hospital Redevelopment
- 1300/57 Maddington-Kenwick Strategic Employment Area - Welshpool Road Industrial Precinct
- 1301/57 Maddington-Kenwick Strategic Employment Area - Precinct 2
- 1302/57 Maddington-Kenwick Strategic Employment Area - Precincts 3A and 3B
- 1290/57 Anstey, Armadale and Keane Roads, Forrestdale Precinct
- 1275/57 Central Districts Omnibus 4
- 1287/57 Lake Road, Champion Lakes
- 1289/57 Lot 821 Armadale Road, Banjup and Surrounds
- 1304/57 Lots 28 & 29 Belgrade Road and Lots 10 & 11 Dundebar Road, Wanneroo
- 1286/57 Western Power Omnibus 1
- 1303/57 Ascot Kilns Precinct Redevelopment
- 1278/57 Rockingham Strategic Regional Centre
- 1283/57 Holmes Street Reservation, Southern River
- 1284/57 Lots 5000 and 5001 Pipidinny Road, Eglinton
- 1288/57 Lots 986 and 993 Baldivis Road, Baldivis
- 1282/57 Forrestfield-High Wycombe Precinct 3
- 1267/57 Rationalisation of Pt Lots 40 and 41 River Avenue, Maddington
- 1276/57 Caporn Street, Sinagra
- 1266/57 Rosehill Golf Course Development
- 1263/57 Lots 89-95 & 100 Dundebar Road and Lot 88 Garden Park Drive, Wanneroo
- 1274/57 Balannup/Skeet Road Precinct, Harrisdale
- 1251/57 HEASP Precinct 2A and 2B - Helena River Precinct
- 1252/57 HEASP Precinct 3A and 3B - HEA Buffer Area
- 1253/57 HEASP Precinct 4 - Hazelmere Interface
- 1254/57 HEASP Precinct 7 - HEA South
- 1255/57 HEASP Precinct 8 - HEA South Buffer
- 1256/57 HEASP Precinct 9A - Bushmead
- 1227/57 Southern River Road Reservation and Garden Street Realignment
- 1188/57 Wellard Urban Precinct (East)
- 1236/57 Bush Forever Area Definition Clause Insertion and Removal of Clause 16 (1a)(A) for New Similar Clause Insertion 16 (1a)(A) & (Ba)
- 1222/41 Perth-Darwin National Highway
- 1248/57 Yanchep City Centre Structure Plan Area
- 1247/57 Part Lot 1 Alexander Drive, Mirrabooka and Surrounds
- 1244/57 North West Districts Omnibus 8
- 1245/57 Lot 9014 Skeet Road, Harrisdale
- 1249/27 Portion of Lots Bounded by Pike, Eighty and Mandurah Roads, Baldivis
- 1226/57 Freshwater Bay Parks and Recreation Reservation Boundary Rationalisation
- 1235/57 Wattle Grove Urban Precinct
- 1241/57 Murdoch Mixed-Use Precinct
- 1192/57 Northern Suburbs Railway and Romeo Road Realignment
- 1232/57 Lots 2, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 412 Railway Road and Pt Railway Road, Subiaco
- 1231/57 Mills Road West and Tonkin Highway Rationalisation
- 1220/57 Clause 42 of the Metropolitan Region Scheme
- 1213/57 Eastern Districts Omnibus 8
- 1233/27 Portion of Caversham Urban Precinct
- 1234/27 Lot 100 Wright Rd, Lots 101-104, 106-112, 124, 500, 501 Shepherd Court, Harrisdale
- 1216/57 Wangara Industrial Precinct
- 1217/57 Beehive Montessori School Rationalisation
Archived MRS major amendments
- 1270/41 Ocean Reef Marina redevelopment
- 1210/41 Rationalisation Of Stirling Highway Reservation
- 1271/41 Lot 59 Wilkins Road, Kalamunda
- 1228/41 Bellevue Urban Precinct and Environs
- 1239/41 Gidgegannup Urban Precinct
- 1240/41 South Forrestdale Business Park
- 1242/41 Lot 911 Midland Road, Hazelmere
- 1225/41 Upper Swan Urban Precinct
- 1218/41 Keralup Stage 1
- 1221/41 Banjup Urban Precinct
- 1215/41 Cardup Industrial Precinct
- 1219/41 South Bullsbrook Industrial Precinct
- 1211/41 Maddington-Kenwick Strategic Employment Area - Precinct 1
- 1202/41 Canning River Precinct
- 1203/41 Perth Waterfront
Archived MRS amendments under Clause 27 of the Metropolitan Region Scheme
- 1338/27 Lots 1, 2, 7, 12, 13, 36, 37 And 38 Caporn Street, Wanneroo
- 1318/27 North Stoneville Townsite
- 1319/27 Lot 19 Sixty Eight Road, Baldivis
- 1316/27 Bennett Springs North West
- 1317/27 South Baldivis High School Site
- 1314/27 Pt Lot 20 Sixty Eight Road, Baldivis
- 1305/27 Bennett Springs East
- 1307/27 Gidgegannup Urban Precinct
- 1299/27 Perry Lakes Stadium Site
- 1294/27 Pt Lots 510, 515 and 516 Sabrina, Baldivis and Bodman Roads, Baldivis
- 1295/27 South Fremantle Power Station
- 1296/27 Wellard Urban Precinct (East)
- 1261/27 Lots 459-461, Pt Lots 462 and 463 Baldivis Road and portion of Pug Road, Baldivis
- 1281/27 Southern River Precinct 3A (North)
- 1279/27 Portion of the Upper Swan Urban Precinct
- 1259/27 Lot 295 Baldivis Road and Portion of Baldivis Road
- 1272/27 Anketell Road Corridor, Anketell/Wandi
- 1273/27 Various Lots Bounded by Kwinana Freeway, Mundijong Road and Baldivis Road north of Lot 1000 Baldivis Road, Baldivis
- 1260/27 Portion of Mandogalup Urban Deferred Cell
- 1268/27 Key Close and Lots 3, 10, 545, 921, 922 and 746-750 Baldivis Road, Baldivis
- 1269/27 Pt Lot 1 Armadale Road, Banjup
- 1264/27 Lots 4 and 702 Gnangara Road, Pt Lot 1187 Priest Road, a Portion of Unconstructed Road Reserve and Pt Pollino Gardens, Landsdale
- 1265/27 Lot 603 Toreopango Avenue, Yanchep
- 1262/27 Lots 635, 739 and 740 Baldivis Road and portion of Baldivis Road, Baldivis
- 1258/27 Portion of Lot 294 Kerosene Lane and Lot 1210 Baldivis Road, Baldivis
- 1250/27 Lots 21, 569 and 1263 Sixty Eight and Baldivis Roads and portion of Baldivis Road, Baldivis
- 1257/27 Casuarina Cell
- 1246/27 Lots 17, 18, 19 & 50 Vincent Road, Sinagra
- 1243/27 Lots 3, 805 and 806 Mandurah Road, Karnup
- 1238/27 Drovers Place Precinct
- 1237/27 Portion of Lot 9504 Marmion Ave, Tamala Park
- 1229/27 Portion of East Baldivis Cell
- 1230/27 Portion of Branch Circus Structure Plan Area