The WAPC, has reviewed the State’s water planning policy framework and released Draft State Planning Policy 2.9 Planning for Water (SPP 2.9) and Planning for Water Guidelines for public comment at the end of 2021. The public comment period has now concluded.
Draft SPP 2.9 and Guidelines will help streamline and simplify the current planning framework to deliver greater clarity around how water-related provisions are implemented.
Submissions received during the public consultation period are currently being reviewed and may inform changes to SPP2.9 and the Guidelines prior to being gazetted.
Once gazetted, it is intended that SPP 2.9 and Guidelines will replace water-related policies including State Planning Policy 2.9 Water Resources.
The objectives of this policy are to:
- protect, conserve and enhance water resources that are identified as having significant economic, social, cultural and/or environmental values
- assist in ensuring the availability of suitable water resources to maintain essential requirements for human and all other biological life with attention to maintaining or improving the quality and quantity of water resources
- promote and assist in the management and sustainable use of water resources.
State planning policiesShow more
- 2.0 - Environment and natural resources policy - Jun 2003
- 2.1 - Peel-Harvey coastal plain catchment - Feb 1992
- 2.2 - Gnangara Groundwater Protection - Aug 2005
- 2.3 - Jandakot Groundwater Protection - Jun 2017
- 2.4 - Planning for Basic Raw Materials - Jul 2021
- 2.5 - Rural planning - Dec 2016
- 2.7 - Public drinking water source - Jun 2003
- 2.8 - Bushland Policy for the Perth Metropolitan Region - Jun 2010
- 3.0 - Urban growth and settlement - Mar 2006
- Government Sewerage Policy - Sep 2019