Paying for a funeral

You may be able to pay for a funeral in different ways.

We are testing the Alpha stage of the 'End of life' guide. If you find this guide useful or would like to report an error, please leave us a comment below.

If the deceased person had funeral insurance or was putting money into a prepaid funerals fund or funeral bond you should be able to access this money to cover funeral costs.

The executor of the will may be able to get funds released from the deceased person's bank or other financial institutions.

If the deceased person had private health insurance, contact the provider to find out whether there is coverage for funeral expenses. Car insurance could help to cover funeral costs in the event of a driver death.

The deceased person's superannuation may also help pay for the funeral.

If your loved one was a serving or former member of the Australian Defence Force, you may be eligible for assistance with funeral expenses provided by the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

Miners' Promise provides support and financial help to the families of people who have died in mining accidents.

Moneysmart has more details on paying for your funeral, super and other ways to pay for funerals and indigenous community information.

If you cannot afford to pay for a funeral

Sometimes the deceased person may not have left enough money to cover the cost of a funeral but there is support available.

The Department of Communities has a bereavement assistance program to support community members when there is not enough money to pay for a funeral.

Payments or allowances are also provided through the Department of Human Services in some circumstances.

If you have lost a close relative in a vehicle accident and were dependent on their financial support or the services provided by that person, you may be able to make a dependency claim.

Homicide Funeral Assistance Scheme

The Homicide Funeral Assistance Scheme is administered by the Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime and allows eligible applicants to apply for assistance for funeral costs where the cause of a person’s death related to homicide within Western Australia.

You can apply if the cause of death is defined under the Criminal Code Chapter XXVIII, Section 279 - Murder, Section 280 - Manslaughter and Section 281 - Unlawful Assault. The scheme applies to deaths which occurred after 1 January 2018.

For more information, refer to the Homicide Funeral Assistance Scheme page or contact the Office of the Commissioner for Victim of Crime on 61 8 9264 9877.

Page reviewed 5 April 2022