If your loved one has died in a work related accident

Information and support for people who have lost loved ones in work related accidents and mining fatalities.

We are testing the Alpha stage of the 'End of life' guide. If you find this guide useful or would like to report an error, please leave us a comment below.

If you are present at the scene of a workplace death, you should call police immediately on 000.

You can report a serious incident using the incident and fatality report line on 1300 307 877.

If your loved one died in a work related incident or mining fatality:

  • the police will usually be at the scene of the accident first, after the workplace has notified them about the death
  • A police officer will then inform you, your partner or relative's next of kin about he accident
  • A police officer will arrange for someone, usually the senior next of kin to identify the body of the deceased person.

The police will also follow several other steps:

  • The police or hospital will report the death to the Office of the State Coroner.
  • Police will take statements from any witnesses and prepare a report for the coroner.
  • The police will also report the death to WorkSafe, which investigates workplace deaths except for those on mining and offshore petroleum sites
  • If electricity or gas was a factor in the accident, the police will also report the death to EnergySafety, which may investigate at the same time as WorkSafe.

For both the mining industry and offshore petroleum sites, the site manager reports the death to police and the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

More information is available in the booklet When your partner or relative dies in a work-related accident (PDF file) and What happens following a mining fatality?  (PDF file).

Miners' Promise is an independent legacy scheme that also provides financial assistance to families of resource workers after an injury or fatality. 


Page reviewed 10 May 2020