Choosing a cemetery or memorial park

Burials need to be made in an official cemetery or memorial park, although occasional exceptions are made by applying to the Minister for Local Government.

We are testing the Alpha stage of the 'End of life' guide. If you find this guide useful or would like to report an error, please leave us a comment below.

The Metropolitan Cemeteries Board is responsible for Fremantle, Karrakatta, Guildford and Midland Cemeteries and Pinnaroo Valley and Rockingham Regional Memorial Parks. Each one offers a wide range of options for burials and commemoration.

If you wish to bury a person somewhere other than these places, an application must be accompanied by the written consent of the site owner and the dead person’s family. Approvals are only granted in exceptional cases.

The remains of a deceased person can only be cremated in Western Australia if a permit has been issued by a medical referee.

Page reviewed 10 May 2020